Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero
Meet Isaiah Dunn—a ten-year-old budding poet and aspiring entrepreneur— and witness as he uses his superhero courage, along with the support of some fierce sidekicks, to navigate the difficulties brought by the sudden loss of his father. We chose this book for its powerful exploration of important social and emotional themes: grief and loss, poverty and homelessness, family and friendship, empathy and resilience. Students will find themselves relating to and being inspired by Isaiah’s strength and determination in the face of real challenges; this guide will help students make empathetic connections between Isaiah’s experiences and their own.
Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero is the story of a charismatic young boy who learns to use his determination, and his love of poetry, to navigate a difficult world after his father passes away unexpectedly. Isaiah and his family struggle with a series of challenges in the wake of Daddy’s loss. Isaiah seeks guidance and comfort in the writing that his father left behind, the supportive adults in his community, and a few close friends who help him along the way, discovering that he has a support system that can help him and his family through even the most difficult times. Isaiah finds ways to celebrate, honor, and continue his father’s legacy, and is a force for healing in his family.
Author: Kelly J. Baptist
Our Reading with Relevance teacher’s guide breaks the novel into a series of thoughtful lesson plans. Each lesson is designed to support you to meaningfully explore the social and emotional themes of the day’s reading with your students, inspiring them to read deeply, think critically, talk openly, and write reflectively about topics that matter.
This teacher’s guide includes:
- A facilitator’s guide with tips and resources for implementing the curriculum.
- A map of Common Core Standards addressed through this program.
- 11 individual lesson plans, including vocabulary, discussion questions, journal prompts, extension activities, and all handouts.
- Two assessments to monitor student progress throughout the program.
- Regular checkpoints to help teachers assess their students’ progress on ELA standards.
- A culminating essay-writing unit.
- An appendix with additional teaching resources and activities to continue exploring this novel.
Dimensions: 8.5″ x 11″